Friday, 15 October 2010

De-Friended? Un-Friended? Doesn't matter Frenemie.

I've been deleted by a friend, Frenemie on Facebook.

At first I was a little miffed, but then it quickly occurred to me how rocky our friendship had been anyways.
If you remember I wrote about our one way street friendship here Friendship dynamics, again here Taking one for the team, Girlfriend codes.

I'm not really losing out on anything by her deleting me without the courtesy of a word (although not surprised). Who needs enemies when you have friends like this?  I liked her though. She is a good time when we hang out, if it suits her. Otherwise I've always had a weary vibe about her and more so in the last year when I learned what she had done last Mother's Day.

One for all, all for one. Nope. One for one in her world.
I remember when I first met her at work, I distinctly remember thinking my first week.
She is someone who is only your friend if you have something she wants.
We became friends and that thought was thrown out the window.

Don't get me wrong, there have been many good times, but it doesn't balance her selfish thinking when it comes to priorities of friends. I'm sure there are things I do that drive her completely insane. Her biggest gripe with me that I'm fully aware of is this.
I'm needy. (her words) I have high demands for my standards of friends. In short, she has always felt I'm a high maintenance friend.

Ok then. Shoot me for thinking that treating others with kindness, respect, common courtesy and concerns about their lives makes me high maintenance, then so be it. I really don't want or needs friends who scam on men you're chatting with, and never make you a priority unless they have something to gain from it.

If I think back far enough, this all started going down hill 3 years ago when I got rid of my car. Funny, when I look back, it was always me driving to her house, unless we were going surfing or going to N.Van to see a gig, then she drove. But everything else in between, nope, not interested.

I wish her well and hope her luck doesn't continue to bit her in the ass as karma has been coming around full circle for her.  She makes very very bad decisions with men. Not the kind of just revisiting an ex etc. The kind that put a rock through her oven (after she took him back a second time) for whatever reason.
Inviting random men over from bars, or online dating for one night stands (oh wait, a movie and snuggle) sometimes with her child sleeping in the next room. WHO DOES THAT!?

Before you all start to jump all over her behaviour, I understand how and why she made these decisions. I do not agree with them, but I understand what drove her there. Loneliness. It's crazy the bad decisions we'll make just to feel desired and comforted for a short bit. Although you'd think inviting someone over with your (at the time) young child in the next room would snap you out of that. Now her child is grown. (he's 11yrs old), she is still making bad decisions. Maybe this is why she stop being my friend? Cos I would voice my concern for her safety and have told her that her luck will run out and worse case scenario, her child will find her dead in the morning one day. Insert rock thru oven saga a few weeks later.

I'm not bitter and I do not wish her any ill will. I want her to be happy, find love that she so desperately wants and at the same time. I hope she gets back everything she puts out into the world and hopefully, hopefully,  learns from it.

I've learned bits about myself from knowing you. So thank you for that.
Otherwise, See Ya Roxy, it's been interesting but not a great loss.

8 comments:

  1. A part of me wonders if FB has made friendships into this horribly evil monster. I have found it is for the most part a really evil invention. I have to block my ex, yet still stumble and I mean I did not go looking or even think I would see that photo of him, like I did today, I have to deal with all the stupidity of my high school friends and their babies and all the oooing and whining and so on. And then there is the de-friending and open FB gossiping. I have had two people defriend me - not true friends - much like the person you have spoken of, is it a loss, nope but it is odd. Because if FB was real life the people who defriended me would not have had the guts to, no rather they would have continued to milk it for all that it was worth.

    It's interesting the friending and defriending business....

    PS Your standards are plenty fine - so fear not

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook is interesting for sure. When it first became public I had heard about a woman who was murdered by her ex cos she changed the relationship status from married to single before their divorce was final or something like that.

    I remember thinking, those people are crazy, who does that? But then I witness on a regular basis people on my facebook air their laundry for everyone to see, rather than keeping that information close with a few good friends.

    I use to have my status as "single" then removed it to nothing and whola, the comments were out of hand! I had to explain to a few people, (not on my wall) that I didn't need to address certain information for the pro surfer I follow, or the highschool friend I havent seen in 20 years, or the co worker who only says HI to me, to know about my life without talking directly to me.

    With everyone becoming so friggin unattached from one another due to all the gadgets we have, I dont think the earth imploding will end us, I think it will be ourselves. Solely responsible for our lonliness and misery.

    Personally, I dont want that. I like hugging and kissing and having sex. I like human contact and hearing my friends laugh.

    ok wow, off topic rant... my point is, since facebook has arrived, I'm learning more about myself and my standards for things I expect from life and friends and just how childish people are.

    Thanks I think my standards are plenty fine too. And since this latest defriending, I've decided that I'm no longer going to fight for a friendship to work because we have years behind us. The friendship just has to work naturally on some level, and if it doesn't, no point keeping it. :)

    I guess that's the hardship of being an adult.
    But it's for the greater good and my own happiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment reminded me of this Def Jam poet

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO_37ZFKUmM&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! thanks for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree w/ SnP... I got tired of reading about all these HS "friends" and the awesomeness of their lives, so just this past weekend, I went thru and 'unfriended' A LOT of people that I honestly don't give hoot about. I mean, like you said "I wish them health and hapiness, but other than that..." I don't need to see it.

    It has considerably 'destressed' my life. I also have set it where I only actually see about 10 people on my home page. If I want to know what the others are doing, I'll go look.

    ~Kas

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said Kas.

    Since I've been defriended by the frenemie, the stress level of being frustrated at the state and lack of the mutual respect for it has been lifted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the double post... It's hard when I read at work and have to dodge the IT dept to post a comment...

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...