Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Note to yourself 10 years ago

I've noticed a theme among many blogs this morning. Reflection. Notes to younger self. et cetra.

I would love to say I could write a note to myself, what to expect in the coming years ,but I can not.
I'm still living it. It's something new every year and although I can look back and reflect at my own growth,  its still a constant process of change.

I think I would probably tell myself the following things:
*Change is good embrace it, even when you don't want to. It opens doors, lots of them.
*Believe in yourself more, your mental health, and judgement more solidly, its rarely proven you wrong.
*Stop dating the Douche bag and never return a call, ever. He will break your heart, repeatedly.

Had I written that to myself, I wouldn't have gained the knowledge from making those mistakes and becoming the woman I am today.

Today I would write something more along the lines of:
*You're going to make mistakes, lots of them. Learn from them.
*You do not need to hold onto boyfriends, or friendships longer than their expiry dates, they'll poison you.
*Change is still good, embrace it. Doors will open for you in the form of better friends, stronger relationships, better job security, self respect, self awareness, and dignity.
*High school drama's still exists at 40. Same shit, different pile, just with better clothes and more money.
*Remain young at heart, age is only a number.

Looking back, I'm thankful for my mistakes. I do not regret my past. It's made for a colourful and rich history which I will continue to learn from and continue to share with you and others via the blog-o-sphere.

What would the note to your younger self say?

17 comments:

  1. This is a perfect idea! I am actually making a time capsule at my New Year's party this year...it may be fun to have us all write our favorite memory of the 2000's and advice to our future selves!

    My note to my younger self would say 3 things:
    1. No boy is worth it. Dry your eyes. Get out of the house. And kick him in the nuts when he comes back to you after cheating on you the first time.
    2. Friendships end. It is not failure to move on. You can still care for someone and simply let them go...don't take it so hard.
    3. You are NOT fat! Wear bikinis as often as possible. This will not last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I think that is wonderful that you like who you are and know that you are who you've become because of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hautemess - I love the bikini one!

    I recently discovered I work with a girl who suffers from BODY DYSMORPHIC DISORDER. My mouth hit the floor when she said this, cos she's is beautiful and I would kill to have a body like hers. She is well aware of her condition and has years with issues from eating disorders.

    Now that she is in a healthier place, she does just that. Wears clothes she didnt think she should/could/would wear ever again.

    Great list btw.

    SSW -
    Thanks. It took years to relove myself again after losing faith in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always said that wisdom is just the delay between when you know you should do something and when you actually do it.

    For instance, it would be more wise to dump someone as soon as you realize they're a douch-er, but often you wait. Which is okay, because sometimes you need to learn that lesson! But if you learn from the experience and get wiser, next time you won't wait so long.

    Just sayi- er. Whoops. That's your line.

    Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  5. you know this was very well put. i wrote one of those notes to self posts too but i really didnt do a good job, because of what you say here. your not removed from it, i cant talk to my 16 year old self right now because i would know what to tell her... im still trying to figure out the lessons now. great post :) oh and the douche bag thing? do we ever really learn that one though? really?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caleb - Use the line anytime you want. ;-)
    I like that saying. "Wisdom is just the delay between when you know you should do something and when you actually do it."

    Constar - Thanks. Would love to read your note.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Note to my younger self would say...

    1. Your Dad was right, most boys/men aren't worth your time or what's in your "special box".

    2. You need to RUN from needy, emotionally scarred and draining people. It isn't your responsibility to try and help them and this goes for your boyfriends as well.

    3. There is nothing wrong with not settling just for the sake of being single when you're in your 30's.

    4. You are just as great as people say you are. =)

    Loving these though provoking posts, what's next?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My note to self would be simple - just be who you are and not what others want you to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your list written from today's perspective.

    End of the year always seems to bring reflections about life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Failure does not define you - do what you really what not what your parents want - believe it or not they will still love you when you graduate with a BA.

    You can really do what you set your mind to, do not let your mother be that negative voice in your head.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hangover - love your list! But saying my posts are thought provoking... well I'm still not putting out for you!!! lol Thanks doll.

    Ca88 - I love that your list is so simple. :)

    Ken - You're right, the end of year does bring reflection of the past... we're learning whether we know it or not. :) Thanks.

    S&P - I want to hug you! Not out of pity, but for the simple fact on a different level, I know that need acceptance feeling so well! You missy are a rockstar! You and all us can do anything we want. With support from friends from all sorts of venues! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love yourself. You are beautiful and special... know that for yourself. Don't only believe it when someone else says it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugs back at you - I think acceptance is something that is so hard to accept, even though we really want it - our society's belief in perfection prevents us from wholly accepting it.

    So on that note - Merry Christmas - hope it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sam u are so wise!!! i love it! wise sage! haha.

    What would i say. i would say. chill the F* out young self, be excellent to each other, and party on dudes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Spanker!

    Please say you've finally dropped the dude you were obessed about when you were working here.

    Miss ya doll.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My note:

    I AM worth it.
    I AM worth it.
    I AM worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...