Tuesday, 16 November 2010

A Word I Hate.

I might not be the first to say this. Social Media has made a lot of people stupid.
If you did not have A.D.D. before texting and twitter options with only a 140 characters, society has allowed you to develop A.D.D.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing anyone who does have A.D.H.D. Some of the most successful people contribute their success to the fact they have it. They've learned to embrace this and work to their own benefit. It's the remaining people who have just become lazy with their vocabulary.

Sure text messages can be the exception to the rule, but ONLY when you're text messaging, or if short hand of sorts happens to be in your job description. But professional emails, and conversations in person, hell no!  I might just slap you if you were to actually say O.M.G. OR LOL instead of just laughing or saying the words Oh My Gawd, and if you're over the age of 12, you deserved to be punched.

On to the a word I've discovered I hate. I hate it with all my being!
The word actually makes me want to kick puppies. Sort of. Okay, not really, but you get my point.

Chilax (ing), (ed). - What the fuck is that?
Is that the new way to express you're entirely too lazy to actually choose one word or the other to describe how you feel? 

Does the dictionary still exist, in print? Yes I believe it does.
Does it exist online too? Yes it does.
Does Google correct words and ask you if you meant _ _ _ _ _ when you miss spell something? Yes it does.
Do all computers come with a spell check and grammar option? Why yes they do!

So please explain to me why people insist on using the following incorrectly?
  They're, Their, There, Where, Were, We're, Know, No. To, Too, Two.

-Side note:
Ever notice that most spell checks do not recognize Canadian spellings?

With our OU's in words. Colour, Favourite, etc. or the use of RE & ER. Centre, or Center?
Our American Neighbours drop the U. It's not wrong per se, as a whole country spells words without, but what about the Northern Half of North America and UK that does utilize the U in words as we're British Commonwealth? Huh? Food for thought.
Don't get me started on the About or Aboot? Do we really say it with it sounding like "aboot"?
No Doubt About it. ;P

Now, I'm not the grammar police at all. My blog can contest to that in itself. Shit, grammatical errors have been brought to my attention.  However, the basic knowledge of spelling should at least be correct.
Yes, yes, there is human error, but just plain stupidity or laziness is my complaint.

Hi gurl, Wasup?
Hows you? What doin?
Seriously?

When did it become okay for anyone not in grade school to continue to speak like that?
Do people think it's cute? There is a time and place for this kind of slack and sloppiness in communication.

Hey wiener it is not okay: When you're talking to the receptionist while waiting for an interview, at work(excluding breaks and lunch), talking to any co-workers on work topics, your parents.  Oh That's a good one! Would you talk to your parents this way?
(I know I just made bad grammar sound like it's all vulgar). Chances are not. Why?
Cos your parent's would most likely knock you into next week for dumbing yourself down.

I think that's what it boils right down too.
Why would you deliberately dumb yourself down to look stupid when you're not?

What words, new words, lack of words drive you nutty?.......GO!



8 comments:

  1. Haha, my dad uses that term all the time and it sounds even more dorky coming from him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... I used to be somewhat of a 'grammar police' in high school, but I saw that nobody could understand me!

    When I joined the Navy, that is when it all went out the window and I realized that, in order to be heard and understood, I had to use the F word every other word.

    Now- I couldn't grade an English Paper if my life depended on it!
    Sad.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call. I AM the grammar police! Are? Is?

    Shoot.

    NVM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol

    Kas - I know exactly what you mean.
    My chosen family consist of mostly navy folk. Alone, they are fine. Together, well they have to out do each other with how stupid they can be. lol Which I think is more of a release for most of them as during duty, they are ordering people around or being ordered around themselves. On leave they want to misbehave. Simply, cos they can.

    Depending on their position, most of them have degree's. (A must to become an officer, doesn't matter in what, they just have to have one)

    Caleb - You ARE the Grammar Police. Sir.
    And I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand the laziness of today's generation when it comes to talking. I'm not the grammar police I can spell and usually articulate quite well, however I can't type so most of the time my fingers are way behind my train of thought and I miss spell, miss words, and totally miss up what I'm trying to say! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SSW - it's not just this generation. If it was I think I could come to grips with it a little more, as every generation has change that the one before it just-doesn't-get.

    It's people our own age using it that drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who has a BA in English and working to a PhD I will confess my grammar is poor - that's what I feed my friends to do - edit for the commas, semi colons and all that.

    That being said - I believe that the Internet with all it's knowledge has made us universally, but more so Gen X and down, stupid. We do not read - really read literature (Twilight does NOT count), intelligent magazine (Economist etc - ie. NOT Maxim) or communicate in written formats. Handwriting or even printing along with the ability to articulate oneself in any coherent format is gone. I find it hard with Twitter - there are those who love their abbreviations - I for one cannot do it - so I figure out how to say it condensed. Hemingway managed to write intelligent works by saying less and meaning more why shouldn't I?

    Sorry bit of a ramble there but basically you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. S&P - I love writting handwritten letters to my family back east! I love post cards and anything really that shows someone took the time, and thought of me to show it in the care they took to sit down and pen out a note. :)

    Thank you everyone! I'm really glad I'm not alone in this opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...