Over the last 8 years that I've lived in my suite, I've kept the apartment in good shape, pull out the fridge and oven a couple times a year and clean behind/under it, report any repairs, washed the walls, etc...
I'd say I'm a good tenant.
He has other thoughts.
According to him, I'm a problem tenant. Solely cos I will not put up with his bullying antics. I stand up for myself. I know my rights as a renter and I'm sure he's hoping I'll tire and just move.
My apt is a 3rd floor corner unit over looking mountains and the Frazer River. Not bad for not living in the downtown core. He's been slowly renovating the building but it's only lipstick on a pig.
The foundation is slanted. The building is old. Repairs on the outer part of the building are being neglected as sheet rock had buckled and fallen off, exposing the inner wood to the elements.
The building doesn't have a sprinkler system in place. This is not mandatory for older buildings and upgrades are not regulated nor mandatory at this time. Since learning that, I've upped my renters insurances through the roof. The neighbour is great. We have all sorts of shops within walking distances and even better a Hells Angel's Chapter House at the bottom of the hill. Which means, NO CRIME. I've lived there 8 years and have never once seen the club house look like it's open, nor any bikes for that matter.
Anyways, in the last 5 years my apartment is slowly falling apart. Needs repairs. All minor but left much longer they will turn into major costly repairs.
I've asked for the following every year for the last 5 moving forward and have been rejected by letter every time.
*Painting - TBA says they must paint every few years within reasonable intervals. It's never been done.
I've been given many excuses as to why, but now I'm done. I attach the section code from the tba with all my request now. Rejected.
*Popcorn ceiling is peeling. - This is not my responsibility. I did not install the light fixtures 50 plus years ago. Rejected.
*New caulking in the tub - This gets done every year due to mold growing on it from behind the tiles. Again, not my problem and they do this one every year, cos threat of mold means a possible lawsuit if not dealt with. - On going repair.
*Fridge freezing my food. - I want a new fridge. I was told to make a list of foods spoiled. Um I still have to replace the food anytime the fridge does this. - Rejected
*3 inch hole under baseboard in guest room.2 yrs now - It's been filled with steel wool and tape since the ferret from the adjacent apartment entered my unit, then I ended up with a bedbug issue and mice droppings. - Rejected. However they repaired the hole in the other suite cos that one is visible, where as mine is hidden.
*Bedbugs - I've had two bouts of bedbugs now since the ferret and hole in the guest room. The first time they tried to send me the bills AFTER the unit had been treated. I rejected the letter/bill and filed a dispute against them. - I won. The second time they tried to say I'd have to pay if nothing was found. TBA says otherwise.
*Changed my locks- After the last house guess left, I was told I could change my locks at my own cost.
I did that. Then they sent a letter saying that I was not allowed to change them without written notice and sent a bill for tumbling the new keys. - I rejected the letter. and sent the bill back.
*Fridge freezer became plugged this month - Which caused my fridge to flood under the crisper and leak onto my kitchen floor, weekly. Repairs have been done, and they sent me the bill. I've sent it back to them with a section of the tba stating all major appliances are the responsibility of the landlord, unless they can PROVE the damage was caused deliberately or neglect by the tenant. According the owner by having food in my freezer that will block the drainage hole. What? I've had that fridge 8 years and have complained many times about it. Now this?
*No heat for the last 10 days. - This occurred during our artic snap and snow fall. The owners took their time sourcing 3 companies and a bidding war as to who would fix it. It's fixed now. I'm surprised I did not receive a bill for the replacement pump for the boiler that the whole building uses, as I was had the most trouble obtaining heat. (top corner suite)
*Rent increase notice in September - This is fine, the rent goes up from time to time. The Gov't regulates how much rent the rent can be increased every year. For 2010 it's 3.2% from your current rent. 2011 will be 2,3%. When I received my notice it was at 10%. I called and advised them it was wrong. They actually told me "just write the cheques for the correct amount, everything will be fine". I laughed and told them I'd do no such thing until I had a new rent increase notice in my hand with the correct amount. They hung up on me. Three weeks passed before I got the new notice slipped under my door.
Just to be a bitch, I went back to them and told them the date for increase was now wrong as the notice of increase came less than 3 months from the new date. Assfaces. You want to jerk me around, I'll make your job harder cos you didn't do it right the first time. I took it one step further and put the printout section about rent increase percentages under the doors of all 75 units in the building. (minus the building manager, not the owner). Wonder how many people they tried to get more rent out of cos people are afraid to fight for their rights?
The fridge, repair bills, the rent and slowness to repair the heat this month, were all the final straw.
I've kept all the letters of requests for repairs on my apartment, along with all the letters of rejection. And when repairs were done, I kept the copies of letters with the bills they want me to pay.
I filed a dispute to resolve with the Tenancy Branch yesterday, for a reduction in rent until the repairs are completed properly and for the cost of filing to be repaid. He is not legally allowed to put those costs back onto me or retaliate as a result.
When I spoke with the tenancy branch agent, he informed me that it appears I have a very strong case.
The owner could be fined up to $25,000.00 if he's found to be deliberately neglecting my suite so he can force me out and jack up the rent, which doesn't reflect the neighbourhood.
I will not be bullied to moving. I like my apartment and the neighbourhood.
He's being trying harder every year to force me out. Seriously, most people would just give up and move.
I will not, cos then he wins, and for what? More rent. Aside from the owner being a jerk, I would have no issues with where I live.
Too bad for him, he's been picking on the wrong woman for too many years now. And now I've reached my limit. Gloves are off and I'v taken formal/legal action against him. Let's see how he likes that.
:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Random Updates October 2025
I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...
-
I've noticed a theme among many blogs this morning. Reflection. Notes to younger self. et cetra. I would love to say I could write a n...
-
....... Yes it was rhetorical. Although I'm currently not dating cos I think men are stupid. I love men. I do. But I think I would lo...
You go girl! I'm very proud of you again for standing up for yourself!
ReplyDeleteThanks.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first started living on my own as a renter, I would have been terrified to fight this. But a few bad experiences and you get to know the tenancy act by heart.
Good job. I'm glad to see someone stand up to bullies. It takes a lot of work, but it looks like you've been keeping pretty good track of everything. Keep us informed of whats happening, and good luck.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDeleteI was bullied as a little kid, then turned into one in highschool. Well, sort of, I was the bullies, bully. I'd put them in their place for picking on people with handicaps etc.
I've become a little calus of sorts after my second job. They would find out about drama happening in people's personal lives then make then a work issue. It was about that time I started keeping record of everything said to me in emails, letters, and if it was verbal, I'd email them to recap the conversation so I'd have a reply from them and sneakily now by email. Which I think many tried to avoid.
I keep conversation history of men I'm chatting with from dating sites etc. This came in very handy when I received a death threat from one after rejecting his offers for the last time. Without that conversation history, the police would only have been able to say it was my word against his.
It takes the romance out of wishing we could just take people at their word, but there are too many people trying to get something for nothing now, and I wont be taken advantage of.
I pick my battles carefully. And due to this, I've learned to handle myself more professionally at work, and stopped mixing business with pleasure on certain levels etc.
Business is business.
Landlord and tenant is a business. One unfortunately that fucks with people's livelyhoods if they are not careful.
I am glad that you are doing this - I find it so frustrating renting in Vancouver. The landlords say the tenants have too many rights. We have those rights because of the idiot landlords who make people go without heat, who discriminate on the basis of race and gender and so on, those who ask for obscene deposits - I've seen some doosies on CL, and the ridiculous amounts they are charging.
ReplyDeleteGo for it - remind the people who think they are capable landlords that it is one of the greatest test of your understanding of karma. Good landlords get tenants who are quiet, want to stay and work to improve their home... the others well they either get you or pot heads.
I am a good tenant and I'm quiet, work at keeping my place nice etc..
ReplyDeleteBut at the same time, I shouldn't have to prove my entitlement as a renter to a wanna be slumlord.
Thanks for clarifying.
ReplyDeleteI thought that's how you probably meant it.
:)