Thursday, 13 January 2011

Old Bed - Women's shelter

I've been waiting on a friend to help me move my old bed into the ally after dark.
Then it occurred to me, why not do what I did last time? Donate it to a shelter.

I've called a few places. 
The Covenant House (emergency shelter for homeless teenagers)
The Gospel Mission, and a few others.
Surprising how many do not have a need for a bed or storage for it, but all were very grateful for being thought of.

The Vancouver Rape & Relief Women's Shelter in Vancouver was in need.
(edit: VRRWS has referred me to the Helping Families in Need Society. They are the transition house)
Not for the bed per-sae, but for any of the women who may be ready to leave the shelter and start on their own again, with help from donated items.

Makes me feel better to know someone gets a new start with some second hand items, instead of it going to waste. I've thrown in some sheets and I'll find a quilt to go with it. Even if I have to buy one.
And if I still have the TV, I'll give that to them too. (edit- They are getting the TV too. I'll take the loss in cash for the greater good).

Now that they have my phone number, I'll make a point of holding onto it for about a month, rather than turfing it this weekend. (Looks like they will possibly picking up everything this weekend, based on volunteers available).

8 comments:

  1. I also donate to shelters when I can altho' it tends to be an animal shelter!

    Good For You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for considering the Vancouver Rape and & Relief Shelter - as someone who at one time needed/considered a similar organizations safe house - I am thankful when I hear that people remember them in their donations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SP & Kas
    Thank you for supporting my decision.
    Kas - Any donation to anywhere is always a good thing.

    SP - I'm sorry you were ever in that position to have to consider a safe house. I'm proud of you that you were strong of enough to think about your own safety and do something about it.
    And more proud that you're not in any unforunate situations now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock on.

    My cousin and I put together a fund raiser each year and last year we gave to the local battered-women's shelter.

    I prefer them deep-fried, but whatever...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was lucky to have just enough support to make sure I was safe - but I really learned from the whole experience just how easily your sense of safety and peace can be stripped by someone who claims to love you. And after years of therapy and continued I know I'm moving towards a better safer place daily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caleb - HAHAHAH! I love that you can make a serious topic, light. :)

    SP- I saw it happen to my bestfriend(ex). 13 years he slowly stripped her down.

    My mother was also a victim of a love/hate/abusive relationship before I was born. My siblings have done a wonderful job of making sure I've never come into contact with my biologic father.

    Growing up having the knowledge of my mum's hardships, has helped groom me from a very young age about how men should and shouldnt treat women. Along with my brothers input and teaching my how to fight like a man when I was young.

    I'm sad for all those who feel they have no way out. ANd so very proud of all those who have just left with nothing to protect themselves and their lives.

    SP- You're a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...