They've been in the first weeks of planning etc, and suddenly WHAM!... it might not happen at all now, or at least be pushed back a year.
The
Aside from his military pension etc he wants her to maintain a certain weight, keep the house, the pets, ....in short the list of things he's added is similar to that expected of a house wife from the 50's.
Now the fiance isn't a catch by any means. He's 5'0", stocky, has a temper of a petulant 5 yr old, and seems to think cos he makes more money, she should cater to him while he sits on his ass playing video games, drinking beer and making a mess, then bitches at her cos the house is not presentable. (she works too)
You should know something about yourself is true when your friends are telling you that you are not a catch but you've landed a good woman who has put up with you (aka settled) and if you screw this up, it wont be long before someone else sees how great she is and scoops her up. My friend dated down. Way down. In his defence though, he does have a huge heart, he's fun and throws a good party, however, none of that is ever directed at the woman who has given him the last 8 years of her life.
I only met CM last year and from what I can suspect, she has low self esteem. Very low.
Was that a result of the troll man slowly breaking her down? I'm just learning now that she's been very unhappy for a long time, but they set a date to marry two months ago???
I've heard the troll mention to friends that CM would never leave him (while laughing) cos she'd miss his money. WTF! She makes her own money, although they have a joint bank account (I hate that people do that and do not keep an account of their own), everything is in her name. The bills, the truck, (he doesn't have a licence and needs her to drive him everywhere) the insurance etc. So if I'm not correct, I think it's the troll NEEDS her around so he can spend his money on toys, while she finances the household needs.
He wants this huge wedding for $2G. I nearly choked on my drink when she told me that.
He's learning quickly that even the simplest of all weddings cost more than a few thousand dollars, even with the help they're receiving from the base he works at.
When she mentioned to me last night about the issue of the prenup, and pushing back the wedding, I strongly suggested that she write her own prenup with a notary and get her own damn bank account. In it, it should have terms about about his weight, the amount of sex they should be having, the comments he leaves on pictures on facebook of women he doesn't know (like he could land any of them) the names he calls her. *unt is his favorite. Yes it is, and she stays with him. But thinks he's entitled to do whatever, behave however, whenever, coos he's the man.
She agreed with a lot I had to say, however this threw me for a loop. She says, "He's solely worried about his pension when we break up."
WHEN! Not if.
Both of them have now used the word WHEN to describe the end result of their marriage before it's even begun. This is not a good sign. I can not push her to do anything she isn't ready for. I've given her my two bits upon being asked and it echos the same answers other friends have given her. Don't get married to this one.
I wonder how women get caught up in relationships like this and stay?
There are so many kind of abuse, and this one seems to be based on the verbal and financial controlling. If would never lay a hand on her, cos his closest military brothers would kill him.
Since my friends started getting married in our 20's, I would observe how many of them gave up control over their own finances and would have to ASK for money. Money they earned!!!!
I swore then I would never have a joint account. I will always have control over my own money. And if a relationship has to end cos I wont submit control to the man, well then, that relationship MUST end. I'm okay with joint house accounts where you both contribute money into it for the mortgage etc, but aside from that, hell no.
As lonely as I am, being single has it's pro's to it. I do not have to fight about finances with anyone but myself.
Would love the input from all of you, as some of you have been through these exact issues.
I'd like to know what causes you to stay. How you dealt with it.
As a woman who dated and was a engaged to a similar type of douche - I don't know him but I think I'm safe in that assessment. I would say one she really really really needs to be convinced to protect herself financially at the very least. This is the hard part - she doesn't see her worth, she doesn't even have a thin grasp on it if the c word is being used in their relationship. I can speak from experience on this.
ReplyDeleteWhat she needs is you and whoever else you can round up to support her - she'll need it when this all goes sideways and it will - you'll be the ones who need to do the intial tough love of getting her into counselling. She'll need to you all to protect her from all the bs that will come from this charming fellow. Once you're in a co-dependant relationship it is really hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, even worse is that light is a long way off if you are going to dig through all of your issues that got you the jem you were with...
So on that note - strengthen the friendship, be there - the friends who worked more on their relationship with me than on their hatred of my ex were the ones that I was able to turn to. Yes you may hate him, you may only loathe him - she'll get there, she might even be there - but more importantly she needs to know that your there for her.
Hope that makes sense
Beyond that I don't know why
Every now and then I read a post which causes me to say "What??" out loud - I think this had at least three of those moments!
ReplyDeleteI really hope that your friend knows what she's doing but it does sound worrying. "Very unhappy for a long time"? I hope she has a plan for how that can change and isn't just resigned to things staying the same. I don't know if she's scared of being alone, but if she talks about WHEN they'll break up then that point is coming anyway, right?
I like the troll in short spurts. However I've never liked the way he treats her behind closed doors. He doesn't behave this way when others are around, not that I've seen, but from what I hear EVERYONE is aware of the issues at hand prior to now.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your input.
So, I preface everything I say with this... I don't know what it is like to be in this particular situation. No one can know but Troll and CM.
ReplyDeleteBUT - I am sicked out by this dude. He is a verbally, emotionally abusive, controlling asshat.
The REASON they shouldn't get married isn't the Pre-Nup. They shouldn't get married because he is an asshole.
Unfortunately for your friend, her fear of dying alone might be more powerful than his behavior.
Oh yeah, and prenups like THAT are simply escape clauses for those who probably shouldn't be married in the first place.
Hautemess - I agree 100%
ReplyDeleteI do believe the maid if honour has already said the things the rest of us are not in the position to say. Not that it matters or changes things, I've been told it was Troll who wanted to get married sooner than later.
I wish the best for CM by hoping this marriage doesn't take place and she does break up with him.
Question is who is going to have the guts to stand up when they ask for objections come wedding day? Thankfully I didn't wait that long but from what I found out afterwards it was going to go down that way if it had to according to my friends.
ReplyDeleteWell they've opted to leave that part out from what I've heard. And from what I know of many of our mutual friends, those who would have the balls to stand up and say something are probably those who said NO to the rsvp.
ReplyDeleteThis is why people are miserable in marriages and the divorce rate is so high.
ReplyDeletePeople...
I shook my head too many times, felt my mouth gaping as I said "Oh hell no" and before I scrolled to the end said to myself I'd rather be single than to deal with that type of madness.
ReplyDeleteA damn shame because we all probably have that one friend you hear stories like this from and think (or maybe it's just me) "what an idiot". Low self-esteem, desperation or that feeling and pressure of not being alone is what leads peole to these types of poisonous relationships.
In a way, I feel bad for her situation and her marriage if it gets to that point will end one of two ways - divorce or with someone on a show like Snapped.
A prenup is the least of her worries. I say after you've shared your opinion with her, don't comment on it any further. Why? She seems like the type of person you may just be wasting your time on because undoubtedly, she'll go through with everything without having a voice in anything.
Agreed!
ReplyDeleteErr, regarding your intro story, that is absolutely the type of prenup any girl will never want to compromise. It's totally understandable for that man to protect his military pension since he earned it the hard way, anyway. But to stipulate that the girl should keep the house and the pets clean and maintain a certain weight? Seriously? Those are crazy stipulations!
ReplyDeleteToccara Mclachlan