I'd like to say this is a first for me, however it's not. It happened once before years ago.
I recently connected with a guy I went to high school with. Although we did not know each other in high school, facebook and it's 'people you may know' section put us in touch. He's handsome, but in a aging like a good wine kind of way, not the *gasp* you're ridiculously hot way. He's not ugly.
We've been chatting it up very generically the last couple weeks. Covered what we've been up to since high school etc. It never crossed my mind once to flirt with him or inquire if he was single. Although we did learn that kind of stuff about each other. Even more so last week when he hit his head at work and ended up in hospital, twice, he asked me to keep him company on msn etc while he waited his turn to be seen. The second time I wasn't online with him, as it was thought he had a blood clot and might end up in surgery later that night etc. (Turned out everything is okay for now, but he's still in a lot of pain)
Last night was no different than any other conversation we've had. Except, I asked for his cell number (timing seemed right) to hangout and go do any of the assorted things we agreed we both like to do. As friends. At least I thought I implied it as friends.
Nope. He did not see it that way and abruptly ended our conversation online with:
"I only have talk on my cell no texting plan, plus I do not see anything "like that" happening between us. Game's starting! Have a nice night".
Me: Wow. I did not think we were heading in a "like that" direction, but thanks for making it very clear you're not interested, when I hadn't indicated anything.
Him: K. Chat soon. Bye. offline
Me: I don't think so. Night. He'll get that last message when he signs back on.
Okay, I've read and re-read our conversation history from day one. No where that I can see do I flirt with him or imply I'm interested in anything other than building a new rapport with someone I went to high school with 20 years ago. Until that very moment, he'd been polite, easy to chat with, open etc. It was easy. We talked about going to hockey games, music gigs and just chilling as friends with friends. No dates or romance were ever hinted at, by either of us. So wth?
I'm not going to bother asking him what was up with all that. I'm still shocked at the abruptness of it all, but do not care enough to inquire as I rejected from a man I wasn't romantically interested in, in the first place, not yet anyways.(never say never, right? Its a defiant never now...) Find Richard on msn...delete contact. Facebook..... I'll delete tonight. No point in staying in touch or keeping pleasantries after that.
I was rejected by someone I hadn't shown interest in. lol But at the same time a small part of me felt very insecure by the rejection "it's my weight" I thought for a moment. I had been deemed not good enough before we met. That's what my mind said for a moment, then I shook it off and decided he was not worth the emotion wasted for that short moment. It occurred to me that I am indeed lonely. And I blame my weight for part of it, and all the rest on myself for not being more diligent about losing it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Random Updates October 2025
I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...
-
I've noticed a theme among many blogs this morning. Reflection. Notes to younger self. et cetra. I would love to say I could write a n...
-
....... Yes it was rhetorical. Although I'm currently not dating cos I think men are stupid. I love men. I do. But I think I would lo...
Do NOT let your weight make you feel insecure.
ReplyDelete1st rule: Be Healthy and Happy
2nd rule: the rest will follow
:D
Oh dear. You know what I got as soon as I read what he said to you? He's married or otherwise with someone and this was his thing that he does. It has nothing to do with you. So often we take what people say and make it about us when it had NOTHING to do with us. It's all him. And I'm not just saying that. :-)
ReplyDelete@Cinderita - you probably just nailed it on the nose. He probably does have a g/f "on the side" or something cos 3 weeks ago he claimed to be single. And it is NOT about me. It IS about him. Thank you for reminding me of that.
ReplyDelete@Kas - Good rules to follow for sure!
some people are so weird like that that they can talk the talk on the net but not walk the walk. like, its ok we be friends online, but, in real life.. umm... so he's just a weirdo looooser who yeah probably has a family and then all of a sudden it became to real for him. loooosseeeerr
ReplyDeleteI've had this happen before. I think some guys just like to flatter themself that something is more than it is, but then they have a gf or a wife or something and they feel like they have to cut off a friendship immediately. So it's a combo of him lying to himself that there was flirtation with you and then trying to backtrack. F him then. Don't blame any of it on yourself!
ReplyDeleteOh, so totally not about you. Dude's got some weirdness/issue and unfortunately you got the bad end of it. Sucks, but try not to take it personally. This is his weirdness
ReplyDelete@Jessica Eats - He was single but I have a feeling that changed in the time we chatted.
ReplyDeleteMiss ya Spanks. How jealous are you that Vancouver got approved for all those street food carts? lol
@Simplysolo - The more time that goes by and I track his facebook, it does appear that he does have a new (old) g/f again.
@Victria - Amen.
@Dawndash - Thanks for commenting. Welcome to my blog. Just added you to my reading list after reading "No Large Chicks".. I've met that guy I swear!!! lol