It's really a good thing I'm so friggin cute! Right? RIGHT!
I'm not posting this story for sympathy, I'm not, it's just too shake-your-head-at-stupid.
Last night I stabbed myself. Yes you read that right. I stabbed myself. Not intentionally.
I was making myself a kick ass greek salad with avocado and crab. Everything was done except the avocado. As I stupidly choose to use the half with the pit, I took the steak knife and jabbed the pit with it. Only to have it slide off the top and stab me in the soft spot of my hand between the thumb and index finger.
Do you have any idea how much blood will come out of that area? A lot. After the cursing and a calm phone call to my sister and the nurses line, it was strongly suggested I go to emergency right away. Thinking I'd possibly hit the nerve cos I couldn't feel any of my fingers and they were blue. :(
The ER was surprisingly quick. From the time I walked in and was discharged, it was only an 1.5 hrs.
Turns out I did not damage the nerve, but gave it one hell of a good poke.Bruising is emanate. One tetanus shot, and a few stitches later, I'm good as new! :) The work wife was laughing at me today when I told her I realllllly wanted the big girl drugs. Alas I'm taking Motrin and will be taking some antibiotics for a week. I'm a wimp and really hate being in any sort of pain. Small pain is worse than a big owie..
My hand is wrapped up and it looks way worse than it is. But it hurts like a fucker when I hold things where I'm required to squeeze/grasp an item. Pens, bus handle, pill bottle. etc.
So take note my stalkers, steak knives and avocado pits do not go together. Just sayin...
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Boss update:-
Seriously. ....?
Entirely too angry to write about this right now, but holy shit, could you be any more difficult? I swear he does this to screw with me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Random Updates October 2025
I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...
-
I've noticed a theme among many blogs this morning. Reflection. Notes to younger self. et cetra. I would love to say I could write a n...
-
....... Yes it was rhetorical. Although I'm currently not dating cos I think men are stupid. I love men. I do. But I think I would lo...
I'm glad you're going to be okay. I'm also glad your emergency room visit was short. I don't even go near sharp knives anymore. I am very clumsy and I usually slice myself. I have three scars to prove it. Take care.
ReplyDeleteFind the biggest knife you have and take a wack at the pit through the fattest section and then twist. Push the pit off going from the dull side of the knife (ie. dull side is against your palm. It's the safest way I know how to do it.
ReplyDelete@Jenn - Thats the part that kills me lol the avocado was already super soft, I shouldn't have had to use the knife at all.... But I have taken note of your suggestion. 39 yrs on the planet and its my first kitchen inicident.
ReplyDeleteLucky girl - I've done serious damage in the kitchen already in life. Thankfully I've had good medical attention
ReplyDeleteDude. Ouch! Sorry :(
ReplyDeleteThanks. For such a meaty area it's healing super fast. :)
ReplyDelete