Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Mommy, they're just like me....

And This Is My Blog wrote this excellent piece about her son (possibly) knowing he's gay at 6 yrs old.

I have a nephew and many friends that are gay. I love them. regardless. (thanks jen)
She makes an excellent point , objecting that being gay is only about sexual acts. Our emotions and feelings, our attractions and compulsions, all contribute, not just our body parts.

But I do love when those that disapprove voice they're opinion, which they're entitled too when they say being gay is a choice. I always ask them (random strangers conversation or not) if I heard it, I inject my question into their conversation, "When did you choose to be straight?"

Or any of the picture quotes on FB.  Against gay marriage? Blame straight people who have the gay babies. 

Unfortunately, my one sister in-law isn't a supportive mother. At least she doesn't appear to be. They hide the fact their middle child (one of my many nephews) is gay from her side of the family. Shame. I do not care what era her parents and family are from. This is a human being, whom you loved unconditionally until you found out. And then wonders why he goes to Europe for the holidays with his friends (straight and gay) rather than coming home.

That's why I agree whole heartily with Amelia and her objection towards others who say being gay is all about sexual acts.

Marriage is marriage, not gay marriage. I parked my car, I didn't gay park it.

You do not have to agree with the topics on being gay.
I only ask you educate yourself more. Stop hate from breeding. Even if you don't agree with it. One day you could be the parent of a child who decides their gay.

4 comments:

  1. Just a thought to consider: when people use the term " I love them regardless" the connotation is that you love them in spite of something awful. How about simply "You love them"? I'm not trying to pick a fight or make you feel bad, but I just wanted to give you food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Jen, you are absolutely 100% correct!
    it shouldn't be "regardless" at all. I've edited the post.

    Thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had made a comment and it disappeared into the black void that is the internet.

    ANYWAY~~ I said something to the effect of: people should just let people be. If a person's choice is to have a same sex partner, so be it. If they choose an opposite sex partner, so be it.

    I just don't want their choice SHOVED down my throat. For ex: I am married to William, but I don't run around hollering about how straight I am or what he and I do 'in private'. Just the same-- I don't need to know that XXXX is gay either by them proclaiming it in every conversation OR be them shoving their tongue down their partner's throat.

    Bedroom business is private. As long as it is between (or among!!) consenting adults, I have no desire to know what they do or with whom they do it with.

    Also-- so her 6yo may be gay. So? Love him. Teach him manners and life skills. She should still raise him to be the best person he can be.

    hope I didn't sound to preachy or bitchy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kas - Did you read her article? Not the blog?
    She made that point exactly. She will be raising her son with tolerance etc.

    I don't believe most people, straight or gay walk around advertising their sexual preferances. At least not the people I know. The only time I've heard anyone mention it, is when the opposite sex hits on them. They've always been gracious about it.

    Those who flamboyantly flaunt it rather than just living their life, probably feel they have something to prove.

    We go to Vancouver Pride every year. It's actually quite the family event. Even if the some are naked. lol It teaches tolerance and acceptance. And the attendees from the parade and clubs are most excellent people. I've asked a few questions in my time, (whether its sexual based, persona, or not. I'm always met with a friendly educated response and reassured there are no stupid questions and am always thanked for asking.

    Anyone who goes to pride and doesn't like it, shouldn't go. Pride is a time of celebration. (think new years partying)

    Find the next Pride event closest to you and attend. Guarnteed a great family time.

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...