....is like an aphrodisiac to me. The smell of the ice. Cold air. Metal meeting ice. Men yelling to pass the puck and of course the smell of men. Sweating. Don't judge me.
I grew up watching hockey, and the smell of used, wet gear is not exactly appealing, it is a nostalgic one. All my friends growing up played. Boys, then later men I dated all played. There is just something about the whole essences of the smell of hockey. It's Canadian. It's sexy.
I was at 4 Rinks (8 Rinks for you youngins) on the weekend with friends, watching a few guys we know play hockey. They were playing on the old Canucks practice ice which has outside seating above the ice. SWEET! The smell and sounds were intoxicating. Smacking the glass and cheering loudly when they scored. I was beaming like an idiot the rest of the day with my pink cheeks. I really miss having a b/f that plays hockey. I do.
It wasn't until recently I met someone I was seriously considering becoming exclusive with, had mentioned that he not only did not play hockey (or any sport), he HATED hockey, and sports in general. *gasp* Although, he participates in the annual Test of Metal, mountain biking race, but again, according to him, that's not a sport. You've seen the Test of Metal, or X-Games, right? It's a sport. An extreme sport.
Now, the men I date do not need to play hockey, or any sport, but it's a plus if they watch it at least. It wasn't until that moment, that I realized that hating hockey was a deal breaker. I know. How friggin petty am I? I decided not to move forward with this guy and put it on a friendship level as he started voicing his strong opinion of how yoga, surfing, kayaking, and other things shouldn't be considered a sport, cos they're lame etc.
Wow. He's never tried these things, and yet casted they are not sports. hmmmm. And while I'm sedentary, I do not need anyone discouraging me from my annual surfing trip or yoga days at work (which I haven't been going too lately... but I could)
What was a surprise deal breaker you learned about yourself?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Random Updates October 2025
I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...
-
I've noticed a theme among many blogs this morning. Reflection. Notes to younger self. et cetra. I would love to say I could write a n...
-
....... Yes it was rhetorical. Although I'm currently not dating cos I think men are stupid. I love men. I do. But I think I would lo...
Being smart is a real deal breaker. And it sounds like a sarcastic answer, but it isn't. I mean it when I say that if a man is unintelligent and unfunny, it is an incredible turn off for me. i need to be able to go back and forth in LOL's with the person I'm with.
ReplyDeleteHe also has to be tolerant of my love of wrestling. Which, shockingly, most men I've met do not like. Weird.
Good answer! Yes being able to banter back and forth is a must! There is not much more painful than talking to someone who repeatedly, doesn't get it.
ReplyDeleteSports - must love sports. I know it sounds weird but I like watching football and all the other sports too for that matter. Yes I'm as girlie as they come but sports are awesome. And I don't mind playing them either - go figure.
ReplyDeleteThis was the first guy I've ever known to claim to not like sports, let alone hockey!
ReplyDeleteUntil now, I never knew it was a deal breaker.
It doesn't surprise me at all that any girl no matter how girlie she is, has played or is into sports. Maybe it's having been an athlete growing up, none of this surprises me. Girls and sports go hand in hand in my book.
Sports are good. Sports are fun!
Some of my favourite dates have been enjoying a beer and yelling at a tv in a pub somewhere. It shows a true side of people when they get excited.
Be careful what you consider a deal breaker...when I met my wife 12 years ago, she was fit and participated in sports (mainly horse-related and skiing) when she was younger. At the time, she had three young kids, and never had the opportunity to enjoy other sports. Her parents were not sport fans and her family life until then did not offer the opportunities.
ReplyDeleteWe met, fell in love, got married.
I'm a huge hockey nut in the winter and huge golf nut in the summer. Guess what??? We quickly realized that I needed to learn how to ski and she quickly realized she better learn to live with hockey/golf. Now we ski as a family at March break, I play hockey four or five times a week, she plays hockey three times a week (twice together in co-ed pickup), and we play 40 or 50 rounds of golf together in the summer. Our kids also play, our daughter plays hockey (I coach), and our son plays hockey (I coach) and golf. Our oldest doesn't play anymore, but she'll watch hockey with us. We all ski.
By both of us keeping open minds, she's turned into a hockey/golf nut and I love skiing.
I agree, some things can be deal breakers, but some things can be learned and enjoyed by all. Be careful which category you place hobbies/interests in.
@Elliot.
ReplyDeleteExcellent points! It's definately been noted.
:)