Monday, 1 June 2009

Bitter Is The New Black - A lesson learned from this novel

I just finished reading the first of a few novels by Jen Lancaster.
“Bitter Is The New Black”
www.jennsylvania.com highly recommended for a good laugh.

She is snarky, rude, cynically witty, more intelligent than her friends and associates! Who wouldn’t want a friend like that?

While reading this book, I found myself talking out loud and replying comebacks to situations similar to hers before I’d actually get to them. And relating to her life more than I’d like to admit.

A few things I’ve picked up/learned while reading Bitter Is The New Black.

Even the most educated, intelligent, successful people can get laid off and still have a hard time finding work in their field, and in the end, end up in a completely different field than what their degree is in.

I’m in my mid 30’s and just learning now what I may want to do with my life.
For YEARS, I’ve been harped on by friends, co workers and more so, family, to go to school, and just-get-a-job.

One thing I’ve watched occur over the last 20 years, is that most of my friends have BA’s, and Masters in their expertise field of choice and yet sit 20 feet from me, making the same wages I do but with a student loan to pay off over the next 10-20 years.

So why go to school, and never end up in that profession and own stupid amounts of stupid loans, cos in the end, I’ll end up being over qualified anyways?

I’m currently working at my 4th job in 20 years. And find myself to know a little about a lot. Rather than a lot about a little.
One thing we all have in common.
We work too hard watching paint dry, just to appear “busy” and not get laid off due to the economy. We all need to save more money and not live pay check to pay check.

Now I don’t have the salary of JL and if I did, I’d like to think I wouldn’t spend my hard earned cash on shoes etc. Okay, who am I kidding, of course I would splurge. Only a bit. I work in fashion and as much as I love the bags and shoes out there, I can never justify spending hundreds of dollars on a bag that is only going to carry my shit.

Besides I live on the west coast and not to sound too hippish (cos I’m not granola) but its more casual here than just south of our friendly neighbours in California where status means more. Sure I love to dress up, and I will own a pair of Christian Loubintin shoes/boots one day, but probably only ever one pair and only wear them on special occasions.

Okay I’m off track again. (big surprise).

This book made me realize that in this economy, NO ONE IS SAFE!

I seriously need to get my bills under control, maybe move to a smaller/cheaper apartment. This will be hard cos I love my apt.
It’s 2 bdrm, 2 patios, 900sq ft w/two views of water and mountains, and I only pay a fraction of what this apartment would cost me 30 minutes closer to downtown. Even sadder, moving into a 1 bdrm will no doubt cost me the same if not more for a smaller place (more modern) if I don’t want to live in a dumpy basement suite (never again) or in a mold infested apt building. I don’t know what its like in other cities, but Vancouver, the closer you are to downtown the rent goes up and the apts get much much smaller.

We actually have furniture stores that now cater to “loft size”. I live in an older building and have real sized HOUSE furniture, none of this overpriced, downsized scaled furniture to fit EVERYTHING into 400 sq ft crap.

Chances of moving I will have to down size my furniture. I have a 7ft couch, and a smaller love seat. A complete dining room set. And TWO bedrooms! The spare room is for storage now, but the option to get a roommate and pay less would be eliminated. Although this isn’t a bad thing, cos although I’m easy to live with, I don’t like many people enough to share MY space MY things with.

Anyway my point is, I DO have to make some changes (I hate change) and not sure what/how/when to do it. But I better get on it, cos I rather makes these changes cos I WANT TOO by my own choice, and not cos I HAVE TOO by someone else choice. Rather than sit here and be in denial and wait for something to happen. I must be the change I want to see.

Save money
Get out of debt
Maybe move to the island/smaller/cheaper apt
Change jobs (obviously with the move)
Join the gym

1 comment:

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...