Monday, 25 October 2010

I Attract Da Crazies.

I thought I left the memo to all the crazies in my last phase of building character, not to follow me here.
Alas they are crazy, so following simple instructions not to bother me in this new phase of my life would go unheard.

It starts with one, and while I believe I can stomp this one out and put her back in line, I'm not sure HOW.
It's become complicated. 1) I work with her at the museum. 2) Aside from her having no filter, I like her. 3) This will not be the first time she's run into this scenario.

She's (um we'll have to think of a name to call her - CC) highly educated, funny at times, quirky, and again, has no filter. Which is part of the reason I find her amusing. She worked hard at befriending me early on, and being painfully shy at first among some interesting characters I work with, I accepted. Never did I think our getting along at work, would cross over to outside of work. Boy did it.

First mistake, if you want to call it that, we went for drinks after work one night.
I learned more about the people I work with than I should be privileged too.  I haven't formed opinions yet, however I'm weary about getting to know them on a more personal level. While I sat listening to all the gossip she'd obviously been dying to share with anyone, I started to make mental notes quickly not to share anything with her that I wouldn't say out loud for everyone to hear.

Some weeks pass, and I learn more every time. I've shared a few things, but as above, it's nothing I wouldn't say out loud for fear she could be sharing my infor with others. In addition it would be frown upon if others (my boss who is in love with her, she claims)  found out we were such good friends.  (um what? we're not good friends, we're work acquaintces). For all I know about the history they have together might be true (one sided story) as he is socially inept, I could care less.

As a volunteer, I receive emails from the curator (only normal person there from what I can tell) with invites for volunteers to help out, join dinners etc. This is why I volunteer there, to get to know as many people as I can and feel like I'm part of something that is contributing to a bigger picture.

My second mistake. Mentioning to CC while chatting on msn that I was also chatting with our curator too.
"WHAT?" was her first response. I explained about the emails I get as a volunteer et certa. 
Now you must understand that our curator is hot. Our age and hot! In a committed long term relationship but HOT.  So of course we crush on him a little.  My crush on him is that it's nice to have something to look at from time to time. CC on the other hand is obsessed.  I've sat for hours on end over time listening to her describe how good he looks in certain things etc. It was fun at first, but seriously, go outside and find something else to chat about.

In the past few months, I've started to notice her opinion is stronger on certain topics when it comes to me taking on more responsibilities at work.  And her trying to constantly remind me that I'm a volunteer, not an employee, and by attending the volunteer dinners, and workshops will not get me liked by the other volunteers. I keep my mouth shut and observe her craziness start to take hold. I know exactly what my position is and where I stand.

My third mistake. Spent the night at her house this past weekend.
Her highschool b/f is coming for a visit and she of course is stoked, an emotional wreck with giddiness.
We grab stuff for dinner and drinks.  Her place is beautiful and she pays thru the nose for it.

In all her excitement she's telling me all the things she has to do, but is only putting around and not accomplishing anything. I clean her kitchen (ew) and her floors.  Thinking this will help her eliminate her nervousness about the weekend ahead.

We're having a good time which leads to the following morning, until she changes ths subject mid-conversation. "Do you believe in God?"  In shock, I blink a few times, replying with "Three things I do not discuss, politics, religion and money", thinking that would be enough.
But it wasn't she pressed on.  I explained I did once, however after the passing of my parents, I became mad at God and the Universe and my opinion was more along the lines of I believe in right and wrong, do not do unto others etc...... She flipped out.  In her rant that God can not exists etc, I stopped listening... blah blah blah not cos I don't value other peoples views, but I never appreciate an opinion being shoved down my throat then asked why I can't see it there way.  I tried my best to diffuse the increasingly hot topic with mention of "Oh look at the time, don't you have to get ready for work?"

As we're close to leaving, she randomly asks if I think her bathroom needed to be cleaned. (oh it did) I asked her to be more specific.  She asked particularly about under neath the toilet seat itself.  (oh it did), getting tired of the inceasingly weirdness, I said yes, the bathroom and the toilet were disgusting and really needed a cleaning. 

The last straw. She blamed the mess of her bathroom and toilet on me. Cos I had used it too. (blink).
I quickly spoke up cos I'd had enough of this. "I may have used your bathroom but the cleanliness in questions wasn't a result of my usage, it had clearly been neglected for sometime."  With no apologies or room for argument, I grabbed my bags and waited by the door.

Not a whole lot was said on the way home, aside from what now seemed liked forced politeness and thanking each other for the good times etc. She then asked for gas money for driving me home. Really, are you kidding me? You have to drive this distances to get to work regardless if I was in the car or not!...is what I thought to myself. But since I was hostage in her car for another 20 mins and did not need her to go off on a rant about God again or some other rant etc, I said sure and gave her $5. 
At this point I can do without the $5.

As you can see I have to handle this one with gentle ease. All the little things I've learned and what I thought was funny in the beginning of our acquaintanceship has made me a little afraid to hang out with her further. To the point I may step back from volunteering all together for a bit, as I can foresee how uncomfortable she might make it.  All the stories about how the coworkers and her do not get along etc, have less and less to do with them and more to do with her reactions. 

From what I can gather, I'm hers. I'm her little pet that she probably thinks she can mould into what she thinks the museum needs and that without her I couldn't succeed. In reality, she needs people to dislike me more than they dislike her in order to feel appreciated at her job.  Am I being narcissistic or am I on track with this one?

I need helpful suggestions and/or solutions to this asap, as I work there every Friday.
To start, I'll conveniently have plans already after work on Friday's and weekends for a while.
If all else fails, I'll talk to the curator and the my boss about working on days she's not there. (of course I'll make it sound like its due to my work schedule etc) and if that fails, then I'll have to talk with the curator directly and explain the situation and the mistake I made letting it cross the boundaries from professional courtesy to personal issues.

6 comments:

  1. Darn I was hoping it was something limited to the full moon this time of year which brings on the serious crazy but apparently not - I do not know, these kinds of people I normally get to your point and then find really formal ways of getting the hell away from but I guess that isn't really an option for you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!
    She does sound just a bit 'off'... Almost SCARY!

    AVOID her at all costs. Sounds like the potential for a scary movie kind of stalker thing...

    BTW- I think it'd be cool to volunteer at a museum. Altho' I'd prolly get into trouble for not doing my job and looking at all the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. S&P - Well she might have been affected by the fullmoon. I dont want to write her off completely cos she really is a nice person. But I will be putting some distances between us on how much personal time is spent on msn, or emailing at work. Yes she emails me at my paying gig, which for the most part I dont mind, cos its, well, email. I can control how and when I reply and it helps me look busy.

    Kas - Scary is the first reaction I had. And I foresaw a world of headaches if I dont deal with it now and set the vibe and limits.
    I can not avoid her, I work with her once a week. I dont want to avoid her, but as I said to S&P, I'll putting some distances between us.

    As far as the museum, the curator encourages the volunteers to spend time before/after their shift and look at all the stuff, get fimilar with it, etc. Ask questions, make suggestions about the displays etc. It's a great place to volunteer. Oh btw, it's a city history museum, not art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I don't even know what to say other than agree with Kas and avoid?

    Or be the blunt, honest, person I love that you are and put her in her place everytime... maybe it will lead to more entertaining drama ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sick & Tired - I'll only be blunt with her as a last result. I've had my fair share of crazies in the past and have learnt many many tricks of the trade. How to read what will set one off and not the other etc.

    I think this one takes the cake though. The others new they were crazy, this one doesn't.
    In reality I think she's medicated and hasn't been taking the meds properly. I won't hold that against her (being bi-polar etc) but I also will not enable that behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, she sounds a little on the nuts side. I think I would just be civil to her, but not hang out anymore. Always be busy. Always be preoccupied at work. She'll get the hint eventually. But don't be outright mean. Don't wanna set her off! :)

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...