Friday, 11 February 2011

Accutane It's going to be a long year.

Accutane is serious shit. It's a high dose of Vitamin A. Very High.
It requires you to have your liver function tested EVERY MONTH for the duration of your cycle.

My dermatologist and I have been ho/humming about putting me on this for years.
Up until now, I've only heard of horror stories about this drug. For the last 4 years, we've been using topical creams, birth control (lasted 9 days) and a antibiotic.
All were great....at suppressing it, not curing it.

I give up. I surrender. Let's try Accutane.
Got the green light from the family doctor too.
Now it gets serious.

The following things must take place and be approved BEFORE I can even start taking it.
Pregnancy test- before and after
Order of blood work on my liver, once a month for 6 months.
(this will repeat every month)
Must start a second form of birth control for a month prior to starting the meds.
If I choose not to use a second method, I MUST MUST abstain from being
sexually active for the 6 months, plus one month afterwards while the meds leave my system.
No alcohol. Not one drop.

Nothing better than being told you CAN NOT do something that makes you want to do it even more.
I've gone that long without sex before, not by choice, but it's been done.
At first I thought not drinking would be the worse of it. If only it were that easy.

Count 6 months from the middle of March. Where does that put me? AT THE END OF SUMMER!
Spring/Summer with no sex or alcohol? Shit, I may as well just throw myself off a building now. hmph.

....Oh ya, then there are the side affects.
Ready?......
*Chapped lips (90%), countered by a using Vaseline or Aquaphor as a lip moisturizer,
*Dry skin and itching (80%) helped by frequent moisturizer creams,
*Dryness of nose, mild nosebleed (80%), helped by "AYR nasal gel",
*Irritation of the eyelids and eyes (40%),
*Joint and muscle pains (15%),
*Temporary hair thinning (10%), (are you fucking kidding me???)
*Rash (7%),
*Intestinal symptoms (5%),
*Urinary symptoms (5%),
*Headache (5%),
*High Increased sensitivity to sun (5%),
*Decreased night vision (<1%),
*Depression, thoughts of suicide (<1%).

Remind me again WHY I am going to take this drug? Oh ya... it has an 80% CURE ALL rate from acne....forever!  Great thing is, all the side effects are reversible.

I apologize now for all the whining that may will occur in the next coming months.

I figure I should be proactive about other things while doing this.
Will start exercising. Yup I will. Just do it. I'm probably going to be miserable.
I may as well be proactive while miserable. And when it's all over, I'll have perfect skin and have lost some weight. Woop!

Seriously, I'm just psyching myself up for this. If it was extremely dangerous, they wouldn't offer it, right?







9 comments:

  1. Wow. Some of those side effects are scary. I had terrible acne when I was younger. I actually still have a few scars, so I know how important drugs like accutane can be. Good luck. keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read about it... looks scary. Might be a promising alternative in SMT D002.

    No booze and no sex? Right... Probably not happening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caleb - I've read about all I can in the last while. I've read everything both Dr.'s have given me and all the horror stories. Plus not to mention the stories int he usa... the states seem to have a much harder time with this drug than the canadian fda. not sure why.

    I've got one more appointment on March 4th, to discuss the last bits... its not a quick process to just decide to be on this, get a perscription and off you go. The doctos will be asking me many many question to ensure I understand fully the risks(all reservsible) but yet still a risk.

    Bonus though, I can stop and change my mind at any point. There are no risks to just stop taking it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I have the option of having sex, but means I either have to have an IUD put in, get the depo shot (hell no) or be on birth control (optional but not likely) so I'll most likely abstain from sex.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acutane does try incredibly - BUT for my best friend who has acne since I've known her (16 years) it was the thing that resolved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for you and will pray for you. I was one of the 'lucky ones' -- it seems all the acne in the family went to my brother. And he only endured it thru the teen years.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say I feel for you too honey because I've been blessed with clear skin my entire life and not gone through anything like this (just a whole host of other problems as you know...lol)
    Keep in mind that although that is a good solid list of side effects, it is very possible you may only experience a few. Just don't be fooled for one second that "if it was extremely dangerous, they wouldn't offer it." Never put all your faith in the government and drug companies and that they have your best interests at heart, because their #1 priority is to make money. Gather all the info you can, and do what you think makes sense for you, whatever that may be. That said, I know people that have taken Accutane and have come out just fine. You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ms. Singleton.
    Well I do believe my doctors have my best interest at heart, as we've been a team for many years and they know I rather not take anything if I dont have to... however the government, well, they are just waiting for me to bend over so they can f*ck me without lube.

    Thanks for the email last night, I replied. I loved Stacey's story...

    @Kas - Thanks Doll.

    @S&P It is apparently extremely drying but so worth it.. we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what's worse? the laundry list of side affects or the no drinking part???

    Seriously, that sounds like some heavy stuff. Just as some of the others mentioned, I was blessed with escaping the acne period during my teen years but dammit, once I got pregnant, everything got all screwed up. Hormones. Isn't that the excuse for everything that goes wrong with a woman's body?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...