Sunday, 27 February 2011

Grow the Fuck Up List

My Dating Hangovers gave me this idea... and it struck a cord.  Write a grow the fuck up list.

While I'm doing so, I'm also trying to take a picture of myself AFTER a good heart felt cry for a Holly McNarland album cover idea.  Btw, much harder than it sounds.  I haven't had much to cry about lately.
So I've plugged in my favorite men into my ears, invested in a cheap bottle of wine. (cos I"m not spending money and tears on a good bottle). Sorry Holly. Cheap works better. There are rules to it though.
It has to be honest. Simple. No hamming it up, no special effects makeup. And you have to let her know if you're okay with her posting these pictures on faceook, otherwise she'd given you an option to send them to a private email.  Oh and you have to provide a "before" picture of you being happy. Not necessarily on the same day.

Back to the GTFUL. (grow the fuck up list)
My list isn't all that special. But it's a list. More so of defeating professional procrastination.
Part of me doesn't want to grow up. Something inside me says if I do, I'll lose the youth that keeps me young.  Does that make sense? I imagine people who "grow up" to be no fun, too serious (all the time) and simply BORING! I am none of those things. Okay, I am a little serious at times, but when its warranted.
I prefer the 5 yr old in me to be present most of the time.  It keeps life silly and fun. And just think of the memories it will/could provide.

Here is part of my list.
- Install bathroom hooks beside the tub so I no longer have to walk across the bathroom to get my towels/clothes or leave them on the floor.
- Invest in a proper bed frame for the new bed. Bed on the floor screams not mature or financially stable enough to have one. Btw, I had one for the double and queen, but not for the king, cos I'm not convinced I'm going to keep the bed yet.
- Get a fucking car. Not a beater. A real car.
- Have more savings
- Stop procrastinating in general. just get shit done.
-Pay my bills on time. Not be a month behind on anything again.
- Be grown up about my relationships. What I want, What I don't. (including friends)
- Love and run with reckless abandonment. (love without fear of being hurt) I can not remember who said it first (it was a blogger) but I love it and I try to implement it often.
- Dress my age. Jeans, sandals and hoodies are only good for the pub. Not dating. Not work. (although the president of said bargle company dresses that way) it's better if I have more serious options.
-Be serious about my retirement.

That's my list right now. I hold the rights and subject to change the above without notice.

9 comments:

  1. I love it!

    As to the hooks I was shocked that 3M has "metal" looking hooks like their easily hang-a-ble and removable ones. Looks classy and takes 3 minutes tops - no tools necessary

    As to the wardrobe - I struggle with this - the transition to adulthood - and what does that look like - especially for me since I'll be "regressing" back into a classroom but I don't want to look like I'm an 18 year old student starting college.

    For me I know I do best when I'm really intentional about it - I map out what I want to look like - go through what not to wear, websites etc.

    I think you can really look at anything for ideas - I even went into the new JoeFresh store downtown - granted I didn't like a whole lot give that I know the shapes don't do anything for me the color was nice to look at.

    I know you've indicated you're a plus sized princess, or as I prefer to think about image, just fabulous regardless of what size you are - be true to you and healthy... but I realize that the lovely marketing world doesn't behave the way they should. So here are some lovely fashionistas breaking the mold - they may offer you some inspiration too.

    http://www.youngfatandfabulous.com/

    http://www.definatalie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh oh--- I'm almost grown up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you think you can squash your inner 5 year old, you're vastly underestimating her potential. You'll end up like Frank the Tank from old school- "running it by Marissa." Then one beer bong later and you're devolved to your childish self.

    Nothing wrong with the inner 5 year old!

    And the list is okay, but only half of them are concrete. Bathroom hooks, a real car- those are good. "Be grown up" about relationships? I don't even know what that means. Grown ups have sex, and you're off for 6 months, so you may want to put that item on the backburner.

    Or did you mean something else?

    How about:

    1. Make an emergency kit for your car, to be kept in the trunk. Blankets, food, water, flashlight, emergency beacon.

    2. Read one historical biography a week. Start with Lincoln.

    3. Change all the smoke alarms in your house and add a carbon monoxide detector.

    4. Buy a set of real, honest-to-goodness wine glasses and a decent wine opener.

    5. Spice rack.

    You might have some of these down already, but I wanted to give you examples of what I think of as "concrete" stuff.

    Caleb "Yeah, I'm 5, what of it?" Shreves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caleb - I love your list, but I've already completed that one completely. I never own a car without a proper emergency kit.

    Smoke dectors are changed and tested every 6 months by the city. YAY FIREMEN!

    Being more grown up about my relationships is more of not enabling bad shitty behaviours from others to continue. Yhea it will happen from time to time but it doesn't have to out weigh the good.

    I love my 5 yr old being present all the time. Never said anything about getting rid of her. I think a lot of people let the 5 yr old get lost and eventually forget about them entirely. :-( so.not.cool.

    Yes I may be sans sex for 6 months (starting in 5 days) but no one said I couldn't make out like a horny teenager and get all worked up etc.. there are other ways to have fun. ;-) without sex.

    I see the word "relationships" is instantly connected to sex for you... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well snap, hold on a minute - banning sex for 6 months?? I felt a sudden shudder just reading that but I'm rooting for you. Gotta wonder, does that include any of the "substitutes" for sex? Haha!

    Love the list! Have you gone back and taken a look at it? I noticed on of them that just yelled "pick me, pick me, pick me!!!"

    "Stop procrastinating in general. just get shit done"

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hangover - Yes starting this weekend March 5th, I'll be abstaining from sex and alcohol. If you read the Accutane post it explains why. :-)

    Of course there will be substutes! Otherwise I might kill someone.

    I do have a few boys to play with in that time.

    I've called on 3 men back into the roster, who have been previously benched. That way, at least one of them will be available when I'm in the mood. All the boys know why it will be sans sex, but it's going to be fun to experiement and get them (not at the same time, you pervs) all worked up.

    There will be makeout sessions that could put horny teenagers to shame. There will be self love, although I have to be careful as a sideeffect is extreme dryiness.. Guess I'll be testing out some KY lubes in my future.

    Ya I've looked at the list.. I've actually printed it out and it now sits on my fridge.
    I took care of the bathroom hooks list night. Any reason to use my cordless power drill is a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I just accidentally walked into the women's restroom and heard a conversation I wasn't supposed to hear.

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...