I was asked by an old high school friend to go for drinks tonight.
I haven't seen him since Gr10. although we've kept in touch, he's now living in the same area code.
Before I could hear myself or the sensory filter between my brain and mouth, the words "I'm sorry, I can't tonight, I'm washing my hair." Silence at his end, as though to say.. oh no she didn't!
Like a light bulb going off in my head, it occurred to me that that line is the lamest excuse to bow out of a date....and I just used it.
"NO NO NO IT'S TRUE, I SWEAR TO GAWD!" I insisted.
"you can even come over and hang at my place etc,"..... I had to go on to explain to him, that it's not an excuse to get out of a date. I do have to wash my hair. I refrain from using a blow dryer as much as possible, so washing my hair, drying it and styling it again all in the same night.... never happens.
It hasn't in over a decade.
I also had to explain I only wash my hair once or twice a week, cos it takes that long to get dirty. Thankfully he had a sense of humour and could sense I was being sincere, and will be coming by my place tonight to hang out and catch up. Phew.
Looking back I use to make fun of those girls who used that as an excuse.
Then started to wonder, if it really was an excuse?
Ladies, what is your hair care regiment?
Men, have any of you been the receiver of this excuse, if so, how did you perceive it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Random Updates October 2025
I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...
-
I've noticed a theme among many blogs this morning. Reflection. Notes to younger self. et cetra. I would love to say I could write a n...
-
....... Yes it was rhetorical. Although I'm currently not dating cos I think men are stupid. I love men. I do. But I think I would lo...
Wash and style every morning - I hate it but I have really thin hair and a sh*t load of it - it does not allow for not washing it
ReplyDeleteI have thick thick dry curly hair. There is a love/hate with that. If I dont use any products and dont work out, I can go a whole week without ever getting it wet. Every 4 days if I use product. If I straighten it, I can still go a week.
ReplyDeleteI am incredibly jealous - mine while I love it - because I know no one has perfect hair - has a tendency to in the presence of minor moisture get wavy and fluffy and basically do whatever it wants. I like my long hair so I have one weapon against the rains - but beyond that I wish I didn't have to wash it, blowdry and flat iron it every morning but I do. If it held a curl I might consider doing hot rollers one day to hold off on the washing but alas it does not
ReplyDeleteJenn- I should have used your description.
ReplyDeleteFluffy, wavy and has a mind of its own... Ya I so do not have perfect hair by any means.
I have curly hair and I wash it on avg every other day. If on the off chance I take the HOUR it takes to flat iron, I can wait an extra day to wash.
ReplyDeleteIt's thick as mud and since the great 'hair miscoloration during the blizzard of 2011'-- about as pretty.
ugh
I have long straight hair. If I manage to get a wave in it through a little rain (has to be rain for some reason) and then whooshing it up on top of my head for a while - I'm over the moon!
ReplyDeleteOH man..I can't imagine washing my hair the night before. No way. I wash my hair every morning, blow dry it and flat iron it. Even if I'm staying in my pajamas all day, I love to do my hair. AND I laughed when I read that you'd said that to him. Classic!
ReplyDeleteI've never used it before for any reason.
ReplyDeleteYes a classic "just saying" moment for sure.
But today, I straighten it, and I wont have to wash it again for 4-5 days. woot!
...oh ya.. he came over last night, we had a good time and a laugh over my washing my hair.
ReplyDelete:)
Dude, it's a few hour process to get it right! I don't know if I've ever said it to a date, but I've certainly said it to my parents. As in, whoops, I've got to get home and wash my hair. SO not an excuse, just the truth!
ReplyDelete