Friday, 11 March 2011

Tsunami Alert for the Pacific Coast(Vancouver Island & California)

As you've all heard by now (unless you live under a rock) that Japan has been rocked to the core with an 8.9 earthquake. Aftershocks of 7, something... ouch.  I really really really hope it looks worse than it is. But unfortunately that is wishful thinking.

Earthquakes that occur in/on/around Japan, Hawaii, and Alaska effect my coast.  It puts us at risk to get an Tsunami again. We had one in 1964.  You can read about it here and here. And for those of you that know nothing about Canada let alone BC, tip tip of the Alaska Panhandle sits 3/4 of the way along BC.

Right now Vancouver Island, and parts of California are on full alert.  Military friends are currently sitting in Pudget Sound in the USA at risk. Even though they are at sea (safest spot to be) they are on alert to assist others if anything should happen. :(

Living in Vancouver we're not so much at risk but our rivers would/could raise in some areas. But it is the Island and my beloved Tofino that are at the most risk.

Be safe guys. xo

2 comments:

  1. Just an advisory, not a warning. But still scary. I work close to the water in Victoria..that's all I'm going to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Advisory not a warning.

    I've talked to a few people out there who work ON the water. No danger, at the most a hicup of a swell that might break over the leveies etc... nothing more than when a strong wind storm passes thru. :)

    Enjoy your weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...