Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Vancouver Island = 160 km winds (100 mph)

Hope all my Victoria/Nanaimo friends, family and blog-o-sphere family are prepared for the 160 km winds heading their way tonight... Please text/email me in the morning and let me know you still have your roofs.

Whether you want to call it a hurricane, a cyclone, or a typhoon, it all depends what part of the pacific ocean you're on. Regardless, Vancouver Island is in the way of a very big one on its way.  November - January is usually our wind storm season.  Highs of 60-100 kilometer winds etc.

Tonight, the Island is expecting winds upwards of 120-160 kilometers throughout the night. For you folks to the south of us.. that is the equivalent of  80-100 mph.

Humour me in the morning and let me know all my local readers, friends/family in real life and the blog-o-sphere family are all okay.

8 comments:

  1. Down here in the SC, we just had FIRE ENGINES or cop cars or something going all nite. We live out in the country, so when you hear one, they usually are heading for someone you know.

    Thankfully, so far, it wasn't anyone we know.
    Prayers to the people it WAS for.

    Hope you're tucked in and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far so good, though they claim they might shut down the train and the trolly wires might end up going down... FABULOUS, FREAKING FABULOUS. I darn well better not be stuck in this armpit of Vancouver subburb I work in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SP- YAY! The ferries are apparently still cancelled. That sucks for those who commute from Savary, Bowen and all the other small little islands there..

    Armpit of Vancouver Subburb?? lol I've never heard any part of the island called that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not on the island - I guess I should have clarified - the hazards of me commenting before coffee intake. I am safe on the mainland - Surrey is the armpit of Vancouver. And even here where they claimed we would lose our power and all sorts of fun, all is relatively calm

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're not too far from each other, although I thought you were in N.BBY. I'm in Coquitlam. However there are a few readers/friends/family etc on the Rock.

    Armpit.. umm yup that is Surrey.. I worked in Whalley for 6 years. right.in.the.centre. Had to walk thru the smackies and crackies to get to work. GOOD TIMES!

    My apt loss power, not surprised at all. .....building character.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have probably passed each other sometime in our lives. I grew up in North Burnaby, live closer to the Drive these days, but I've had this job in Whalley (right where the mayor claims the new city hall will be - she's got to take us down first... oh joys I tell you) various capacities and on and off for the last 14 going on 15 years of my life... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to PM you.. I have a feeling we've probably hung out in the similar circles.
    I grew up in S. BBY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weirdly enough, I didn't get any of the wind they were warning us of... *shrug*

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...