If I succeed at making it to the end of this Accutane cycle, I'm going to treat myself to a weekend HERE At the Wickaninnish Inn in my favorite spot on the planet.. Tofino, BC.
Its stupid expensive. I've stayed there once. Two nights ocean view while spending inheritance.
In short all I can say, it was magical. There are no other words.
I had gone winter surfing alone, and after a week of staying at the hostel and getting my ass thrown around like a rag doll by mother nature just trying to paddle out, not to mention how much of the ocean I was forcibly fed thru my nose (ah saline cleanse), I treated myself on a last minute decision on my way out of Tofino. They were kind enough to accommodate me as I did not have a reservation, nor was I staying the minimum 3 nights. Cried the whole time in awe of all the beauty.....and wine. It was the best $600 (got a deal) I'd ever spent on two nights.
To lay in the soaker tub with bubbles of course, wall to floor ceilings over looking waves crashing at your foot, was, blissful. Truly amazing. To lay in bed, fireplace roaring, drinking myself silly, again, watching the waves til I fell asleep and to wake up to the fire, sans any wine left, and the waves still going....in a word, magical.
Now I have to try and convince my friends that spending $200-$300 dollars each for 3 nights, 4 days for a loft (sleeps 4-6) is a good idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Random Updates October 2025
I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...
-
I've noticed a theme among many blogs this morning. Reflection. Notes to younger self. et cetra. I would love to say I could write a n...
-
....... Yes it was rhetorical. Although I'm currently not dating cos I think men are stupid. I love men. I do. But I think I would lo...
That sounds fabulous! Wish I had the inheritance to spend there...
ReplyDeleteHmmmm-- wonder if I could sneak away?
ReplyDeleteCa88 - It wasn't a lot of inheritance, but I did manage to buy new furnture, a new laptop, get out of debt and spend a little on me, just because. So worth it the 600. seriously.
ReplyDeleteKas - Yes you should.
It's a long drive from the ferry (6-7 hours) to Tofino on a whindy switchback thru the mountains.. it only takes so long to drive cos you're rarely driving faster than 50 kms/hr.
I'm sure we could fit you into a car somewhere.. it's so relaxed and very much "Island Time"... no rush, no traffic, no city busyness.(ya I spelled it correct) In short, it's bliss.
WOW, that seems fantastic! I really hope you do it. You've just inspired me to do something similar!!
ReplyDeleteWow, I've just inspired you?
ReplyDeleteYou've just made my day!..now dance puppet!!... I'm totally kidding. lol
Good for you! Can not wait to hear what it was/is.
HA!--
ReplyDeleteYou forget... or didn't know... I'm in SC. Not only would I have to go acroos the Mississippi River (and MULTIPLE HIGH BRIDGES I'm sure)- I think a passport is required stuff to cross the border. Or at least a Birth Certificate. One I don't have and the other I don't know where it is.
HOWEVER-- should you decide to "kidnap" me, I promise not to make a fuss!
:D
Kas -Nope I knew you lived in the states.
ReplyDeleteYou need a passport. Canadians have a choice of crossing the boarder by car and water with an enhanced drivers licence, but I do not believe amwericans have that choice. All air travel requires a passport.
Thinking of going to the Wickannish for a few days by myself in March. But I am concerned about the 2 hour ferry and 3 + hr drive alone, possibly in the rain (and you say 6+ hrs!)to stay 2 nights. Is this crazy?
ReplyDelete@Anonymous - It's worth every second. Not crazy.
ReplyDeleteI don't know anyone who's made it to tofino in less than 4 hours. Once you're on the road, it's switch backs all the way there, with narrow roads, cliff on one side and mountain edge on the other with 18 wheelers coming around blind corners. Chances are you'll never pass 60/kms the whole way. Hense why it takes so long.
Don't let any of that discourage you. It's just the reality of the drive. Once you're half way there, you're going to want to stop at Cathedral Grove and Kenney Creek. (unwritten rest stops). Lots of picture opts.
Prepare yourself with proper rain gear and you're set. Nothing can stop you from exploring Tofino. If you have the time, and the finances,(but if you're staying at the wick, I'm sure you can) take the whale watching tours to the hot springs etc.
Talk to the locals, ask what to do that isn't tourist and you'll be hooked. The true locals are sweet as pie. Although you'll find a lot of new zealanders and austrailians working there, that are not as friendly as true locals.
Let me know how your experience goes!!!
There is no bad weather in Tofino, only bad clothing choices.