I've been reading Derek K. Miller for sometime over the years.
Turns out we have a few mutual friends in common.
A few years ago he discovered he had cancer. Last year the doctors decided it was terminal, and he will be leaving us here on this plane within the year. Personally I would freaked the hell out. Derek may have done that too, however he chose to write about his life in such a way, you can't help but be inspired by him, even if you're crying, cos it's raw, honest, awe insprising and amazingly well written.
I highly recommend you check out his blog at Penmachine.com and encourage you to leave comments on any posting you feel like. This will be the things his kids read about him for the rest of their lives.
He recently had a living wake which I personally think was an amazing way for friends and family to say goodbye and and celebrate his life, and for him to be witness to it, *tear* is amazing and fortunate all in itself.
I've never met Derek, and yet he inspires me in ways I wish I had known back when my parents were ill from cancer. I hope I'm never faced with the knowledge of when I'm going to die. However, if I am, I hope I have the courage and strength to make the best of every single day, and to be that raw & honest about it. I'm sure there isn't anything in the world he wouldn't give to not be in this position. But he doesn't seem to live in the what if, could have, just one more time, kind of world.
Again, I highly recommend you read his blog. It's not sad in the way you think it would be. It makes you proud and more importantly, blessed to have access to parts of his life. I have a feeling his time is closer than I care to admit as his updates are becoming less frequent due to his lack of energy etc. He even mentions it's obviously apparent now that he is dying as he shares moments with his wife A.
The world will be down one amazing man when his time comes.
I hope his kids grow up to be amazing adults just like their Dad, and that they know he touched many people through his writing.
My wish for Derek is, when his time is here, that it's in his sleep, that he's not really aware of it happening and feels absolutely no pain. Then he will be free to haunt his family and play wonder pranks on them. Just so they know he's still there.
*hugs* Derek. xoxo Stay classy my friend. xoxoxox
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Random Updates October 2025
I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...
-
I've noticed a theme among many blogs this morning. Reflection. Notes to younger self. et cetra. I would love to say I could write a n...
-
....... Yes it was rhetorical. Although I'm currently not dating cos I think men are stupid. I love men. I do. But I think I would lo...
No comments:
Post a Comment