I'm done! Woot!
I cancelled my plans to see the Adam Woodall Band play Saturday night at the Harmony Arts Festival in West Van, just so I could get the small turn into a larger project done! Turns out I missed a really great show. :(
I was mad at the way my apartment looked, and the rate I was going as a professional procrastinator, it was going to take all month to get it done. Especially with how thirsty my 2 bedroom doors, 1 bathroom doors, and 4 closet doors were. I used a gallon just on the doors and trim.
3 coats in and I"m not happy with the way things are looking. Back to Rona to get some more paint and to find someone to help me who doesn't obviously hate their job.
I buy a small can of semi gloss white paint from another line after being assisted by a very resourceful girl. Bought some new brushes and rollers too. Wow. What a difference.
I did 2 two more coats on everything with the new roller, and was completely done the project by mid afternoon Sunday. Doors back on hinges, hardware all back in place, and some walls washed, paint garbage all thrown out and put away, apartment was vacuumed and floors washed. By 4pm, I was really for my shower. Which funny enough it turned out I was too tired to stand, so I ended up sitting it in.
I must say, the white doors and trim against the yucky beige walls (white originally thought to be off white), doesn't look all that bad.
I do have some touch ups to do in regards to getting some very minor paint on the carpet and parts of a wall I hadn't intended to paint or was too lazy to tape before I ran a brush over the area.
Otherwise I'd say this was a success.
Now for the bitchy part.
Since the property management refuses to paint my apt in the last 9 yrs and they love to send me bills for repairs which are clearly their responsibility by law... I'm sending them a bill for the painting. 1.5 gallons of paint. $45.00. Tools $35.00, labour - 26 hours. That's right. When you count the hours here and there of taking doors off, tapping, cleaning, painting etc, this is what it comes down too.
Of course I do not expect to see a dime, but I'm sending them a message that I too can bill them for petty things they should have done in the first place without hassle.
If they can try and bill me for the repair guy to install auto-bleeders on my heaters after going without heat for 10 days in -17 weather, then ya, I'm sending them a bill to be a bitch. two way street my friends. They can continue to try and force me out of my 900 sq ft corner unit with views of the river and all the mountains, by making it difficult to be lawful landlords, all they want. Until I'm ready to move, we're going to continue to have this small ongoing war on our hands. It's been 9 years, not sure why they think I'll give up. Again, once you've had a shitty landlord in the past, you become a pro at what your rights are, and what the landlords responsibilities are.
Aside from the property management, my apt is a score! The same size apt, with the same view, anywhere else in the lower mainland would cost me the better half of $1500. and up. I don't pay near that right now.
I'm not a trouble making tenant, I just refuse to be bullied out of my apt so they can gouge the rent up.
For the amount of stuff I've been doing lately, I'm surprised at how much energy I still had. It might have had something to do with the extra strong coffee's I had before hand.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I got up this morning after some interesting dreams and realized just how much I still have left to do before the roommate moves in. On top of that, how much socializing I have booked. I'm busy 4-5 days of the week (including weekends) and the end of the month, I have a friend from out of town visiting, roommate moving in, and then an Island friend coming for the long weekend. Wow.
I have 2.5 weeks to get everything 100% done. Cos once the friend arrives, I won't have time to do anything else. There are going to be some very long days in my future.
I bought the new roommate a box of .35 decibel ear plugs, a 6 pack of beer, a bag of tube socks and some cheap white towels. Why, you ask? Cos he's asked me if I would be upset if he used my towels when he wanks. hahahah I'm not kidding! He's concerned I'll be mad if he stains my towels. Um ya, I will.
Since he has a sense of humour and I'm a dork, I got him the above items so when he moves in, he'll laugh and we'll start off on a good note.
The earplugs and beer, well that's just something I do for any roommate. I pick them up something small I know they need/want etc. He sleeps with earplugs as do I in the summer with all the doors and windows open, it can get insanely loud. Just the way the noise travels up two blocks from the main road. We're like a vacuum for noise enhancement. Beer. Well who doesn't like beer? The cheap towels and tube socks, tongue in cheek humour. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I checked up on LC and her situation after moving back into the house a few weeks ago, since I haven't heard from her. Normally I can feel when she's not well, stressed, just off etc. Since she's moved back into the house with the monster that beat on her, I feel nothing. Not even a heavy pit in my stomach. I don't like that. I'm giving it a week or two to hear back from her, then I will touch base with those who can see her facebook and see when her last update was. If that doesn't provide the results I'm looking for, I'll take other measures to find out if she's indeed still alive. Calling her family directly.
Maybe things are going smoothly in the house and that's why I'm not feeling anything?
UPDATE:
I got a reply from LC about 30 mins ago. She's okay. She'll also be in town next week. So I put it out there, asking if she would have time for a visit with ME!?
The work wife seems to think she'll make the time, otherwise she wouldn't have told me she'd be in town etc. This could very well be true.
If she says no, I'm cutting all ties as far as rebuilding our friendship goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Random Updates October 2025
I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...
-
I've noticed a theme among many blogs this morning. Reflection. Notes to younger self. et cetra. I would love to say I could write a n...
-
....... Yes it was rhetorical. Although I'm currently not dating cos I think men are stupid. I love men. I do. But I think I would lo...
Pictures or it didn't happen!!
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe he asked about towels/wanking... EW!! LOL!
No news is good news- just keep repeating..
@Kas - I don't own a camera. :(
ReplyDeletenot even a phone camera? that's what I took my pics with. I used to have a digital camera, but Fave jacked it and it has disappeared into the black hole she calls her room...
ReplyDeleteThe towels and tube socks -- funny. Disgusting and funny.
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize that girls know what guys do in private. My roommate certainly doesn't, or she wouldn't voluntarily take dirty laundry from my room to throw in with her own.
@Tobethatguy - I have brothers, many nephews and had male roommates, I'm well aware. lol
ReplyDeleteI like the commentary,u could seriously sell this little story as a Book.ha, but yeah dude its good I like it.
ReplyDelete@Travis, welcome to my blog! Thansk for the comment! :-)
ReplyDelete