Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Slightly Annoyed. Surprised?

With the company changing locations, job offers being made and not being made etc. The new location has slip thru the grapevine to those of us who did not receive an offer.

The new company will be such a distance, I'm not willing to make that commute from where I live. Had I received an offer, I would have had to turn it down. Though a co-worker who lives a bit further than I, will make the commute via transit. Good luck. Thats almost 2 hours each way ontop of your work day. (via transit) No Thank You.

The part that annoys me..... the superintendent we have, came to my desk looking at how he is going to dismantle the beast of acreage that is my desk. Upon asking why, he informed me he was taking it to the new location for the reception area there.

What?

I wasn't appreciated enough to even have an offer made. (regardless that I'd have to turn it down). Just when I was in an okay place about everything, moving forward etc, I'm hit with an insult.

Just reminding myself, "you couldn't have taken it anyways".... it still would have been nice to have had that be my decision.

I was laughing with the work wife the other day. It would be ballsy of them to not offer my a position, then ask me to train my replacement. Even with how shady things went down, I'd like to believe that is even too low for them.

I'll be okay with this by the end of the day I'm sure. Right now, I'm feeling very insulted.

Next.

8 comments:

  1. Try not to be insulted or take this personally - they're making decisions for the betterment of them, not you. Try and look forward instead - you've just said you wouldn't transit to the new location so why are you offended they want to plan what to do with their assets? They can do whatever they want with their desk. They can light it on fire - they own it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Jen.
    It's just a small slap in face. Knowing that you were never part of the future plans.

    You can twist it anyway you want, it still hurts a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you. I was the Controller for two large food manufacturing plants that ceased production on the same day in late 2009. Even though certain products were purchased by another food company and the equipment left behind, it was really hard watching the equipment get ripped out and sent to third party manufacturers for use. It sucked knowing that over 600 people were out of good paying jobs in Smalltown, Ontario while others were reaping the benefits. Some of the equipment that was still sitting in the plant has recently been disassebled and shipped to Mexico to a huge plant there that makes cereal. Still hurts to hear that our equipment is being used somewhere else.

    It still breaks me up when I see former employees working at Walmart or Timmies becuase they still don't have work that paid the $20+/hour with benefits they were making before the closure.

    I was one of the few that got job offers - one in Chicago and one in Toronto. No thanks to both, I like living in Smalltown, Ontario thank you very much.

    These types of situations suck all round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Elliot. Thank you. You get it. The controller and CFO are my immediate supervisors.

    At the moment I'm losing my positive attitude more and more every day. I was asked to write end of contract letters for our existing clients... fair enough. Then I was asked to enquire about rates, set up dates etc for the new company. The new company I'm not going to be part of.

    As politely as I could, I declined to do the latter asked of me, feeling it was ethically incorrect for them to ask me to do such a task.
    They may as well have asked me to train my replacement.

    I'm afraid if I don't find another job that pays at par to what I make now, I'm going to have to dip into my severance package, and I'd really rather now.

    btw. between the parent company and all that fall under her umbrella, we're looking at roughly 3000 people out of work from the east to west coast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what? Each update I read about your impending departure from this place I think "ugh, good riddens".

    The people you work with are terrible and appear to be a bunch of classless jerks.

    I know corporate downsizing/layoffs or whatever terms fits is never an easy thing but these people seeme to be pouring salt and bleach on an open wound.

    *eyes rolling*

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Hangover - I would normally agree, but I happen to know the prez and vp had no control over the way things went down. The new owners are responsible for this. All of this.

    Which, given more time to mull over, I'm happier every day that I wasn't offered a position. Who wants to work for a company that treats people like that? It's been two weeks, and still not a word to those of us who did not receive an offer.

    And my immediate boss... well I'm guessing this new attitude of hers is more of how she was before the previous company bought us. The work wife use to say she was impossible to work for and I've never seen it. I think I'm getting a small glimce to how she really likes to run her ship.

    Oh well. I'm trying to tell myself to stay possible. Although a month has passed since we were given our notice and I've only had a couple interviews. Starting to panic a little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel for you. I was the last employee at the plant and had to ensure that all the accounting records were done, transfers done, paperwork good, and asset purchase/sale agreements completed. It sucked. On the flip side, I was lucky enough to find an equivalent paying job in the next over (10 km from home) and both companies were flexible enough to allow me to do both jobs. By day at the new job and nights/weekends to close the facility down financially. That was tough.

    It's still tough driving through town almost every day seeing the plant sitting there...it takes up more than 70 acres in the heart of town and there had been manufacturing there since it was built in 1904.

    I take it you are in the Vancouver area. I have some contacts out there that are professional accountants. If you are in the city, I could pass along some contacts. I don't think I know anyone on the island, but could check.

    Keep your head up. Remember, some of those tough to do tasks may be the difference between dipping into your severance or not, especially if the new company decides they need you on a contract basis in January. I've had to use former employees on a contract basis after closing facilities in my current job, and they have always turned out beneficial for both parties, even though the full-time job has gone away. In every case, the contract bought the person enough time to find another job and they didn't touch their severance...something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Elliott you are the best! I am in Vancouver.
    Send me a private email, I'll forward my resume to you.

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...