Monday, 1 August 2011

New Museum. New Position

I applied for a new position at a different museum last week. Much to my pleasant surprise, I got the interview. The position; Digitilazation Assistant, Curatorial Dept.
The museum; The Vancouver Police Museum. 

Unlike the Vancouver Museum, it's not civilly funded. Therefor, they're able to display much more of the quirky side of the cities history. From opium dens in Chinatown, to the building itself the museum is in. It operated as the original morgue til 1980.  There is a room left the way it was when the morgue was in full service. Cool and crazy at the same time.  Displays of historic murders, with the actual murder weapons, and edviance pictures on display. Very cool, in a voyerism way.

The interview went really well. I was prepared as I could be. They had asked repeatedly if I was comfortable working alone. Advising I was, at the very last moment, my gut said to asked if I could see the work space I'd be occupying etc.

Boy, am I glad I did.

I have no problem at all, working alone. However as they took me 3 stories down very narrow stairs with paint from whenever the building was built, peeling off the walls, (horror movie set come to life) we arrive in the basement. Surprisingly well ventilated, and enough light. Though, I started to wonder just how alone I would be working.

I would be isolated. Working 100% alone. There would be no other persons visiting my area, and the fact it was so far away, if anything were to happen, no one would know until they learned the alarm wasn't reset before the nights end.  The building being an old morgue, doesn't bother me. Really, it doesn't. Nor does it bother me that the museum is in the downtown east side. It is solely the isolated working conditions for a minimum 4 hours a week, unpaid.

The curator, archivist and the summer intern who's position I would be filling, interviewed me. All great gals, stylish, and not at all stuffy. Even after working at the NWMA for a year, I still expect people who work in museums to be stuffy, old, and hate their jobs. Twice now I've been proven wrong. Love it.

I have a week to think over the arrangements of the position before I have to give them my answer as to whether or not I'll accept the position. I'm trying to convince myself I could do this, alas, I do not believe I can.

I'll email the curator this week and regretfully inform her I won't be able to take this position at this time etc.  It's unfortunate its not an area or a work load that can be moved to another floor.  The second floor of the building is completely unused due to fire codes etc. If this was set up there, I would take it. At least you can hear people above you then.

I'm a bit sad about it all, as the unique inventory is so vast and exciting. And I won't get to be part of it.

I guess I'll return to the NWMA in November as planned.

4 comments:

  1. Aww... I know how excited you were... Don't even want to try it out? Take a radio/iPod with you? I think I'd be ok... Sometimes people irritate me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a radio down there already, but it's not enough to break up the fact I'm travelling all that way to spend 4 hours in isolation every week. Just not feeling it enough to out weigh that.

    I really believe this is why they give you a week to decide if you're going to take the position. How many people do not think to ask to see the work space? I always do for every job I've ever interviewed for.

    Anyone can butter up a job and how exciting it will be etc, but until you see thw work space, it means nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Six little words came to mind FIRST as I read "new job": C-R-A-Z-Y-C!!!

    Sounds like a decent gig if you needed complete isolation to work on your homework or maybe your thesis, but other than that? I don't know. You don't get weirdded out by noises do you?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hangover - I had mentioned the whole Crazy C thing to @Kas on facebook. Could you imagine?!!!! I would have to quit immediately.

    Noises do not bother me. The fact it's in an old morgue, doesn't bother me. Or the DTES.

    It is the complete isolation. What if something heavy fell on me? No one would know or would hear my cries for help until closing etc.

    I'm sure its safe and all that, but I would go crazy myself.

    ReplyDelete

Random Updates October 2025

 I no longer work directly with the Screaming Banshee! Back in June we had a meeting and completed a manager's shuffle. The company does...